What I Do

Fine Art. Illustration. Tattooing. Calligraphy. Interior design.

Saturday, February 4, 2012

New art for 2012!

These are the latest in a "butterfly" series of drawings and paintings new for 2012.  The paintings are oil paint pen and oil paint on recycled board.  The drawings are ink on bristol paper.  I really enjoyed th e style on this series.  It began with a few sketches of butterfly wing patterns, which quickly turned into sharper pen and ink versions.  The organic shape and patterns are perfect for my calligraphic pen style.  This allowed me to not focus on the individual line quality and not worry about total design at first.  The paintings shown here were just on display at Burning Love Fest 2012, Bellingham, WA.  The drawings are  the first in a set for a coloring book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Artist: Chris Murphy

Artist: Chris Murphy
Oil on Glass

The Source:

My photo
Bellingham, WA
Welcome to my dumping ground. A spot for me to throw down my ideas and sources of inspiration. The good, the bad and the ugly of it all!

Welcome to Southern Cross Studio

Southern Cross Studio
I was born in Subiaco, Western Australia, in the Northwest Territory. Our family moved to the Pacific Northwest of the U.S. in 1974.

"My first memory of knowing I could really draw was in the third grade. We had to draw a boat for some reason - most of the class drew triangles with a stick out the top for a mast. I drew a three masted schooner with portholes and rigging. It helps having an artist for a mother and a naval architecht for a dad. I remember drawing from editions of 'Janes Fighting Ships' in our living room as a kid."

I now live with my family in Bellingham, WA. where I paint, illustrate and ink. I am currently accepting commission work for: Interior colorist, designer, illustrations, paintings and tattooing. I also accept corporate commissions for abstract oil paintings.